Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jenn vs. Seishiro

This post concerns the Jenn vs. Seishiro video. Since you're reading this, you should have some idea who Jenn is based on her DeviantArt site. If not, take a look at my previous blog post and visit her DeviantArt site now.

As for who Seishiro is, he is "DPXEntertainment" in Youtube. He is also the writer and director of the infamous "Rocky: Child Beater" movies. In my movie, you see him as Jenn's opponent.

If you haven't seen what Seishiro's been up to at all, I recommend you look at his movies here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DPXEntertainment#g/u

This was shot in 2008, which was before Jenn moved to Australia. Like with the Jenn vs. Akuseku movie, this too was supposed to have a lot of dialogue. Since I had to remove all the story elements from this fight movie, it's much, much shorter than I intended. While this video is a little under two and a half minutes, it was originally intended to be about 15 minutes due to the back-and-forth dialogue between Jenn's and Seishiro's characters. This was meant to be the final confrontation of the movie, in addition to explaining why everything in the story took place. None of that matters now and all I can do is to salvage just the fight scene.

In my original script, Seishiro's character had set up devices which released a mild hallucinogenic agent into the surrounding area. Seishiro's character is immune to the hallucinogen due to reasons I no longer need to decide. I thought about explaining this away by either saying he took a drug which makes him temporarily immune to it or he's become immune due to prolonged exposure over the years. Jenn's character is not immune to the hallucinogen, so she has trouble seeing during the fight and gets hit from behind several times.

The one thing I wanted to do with inserted dialogue in between the punching and kicking was having Seishiro move the katana from the grassy area to concrete. Since Seishiro's character spread a hallucinogenic agent into the fight area, the dialogue scenes would have both characters dressed unlike what they're dressed like in the fight. While they were having a conversation, I intended Seishiro's character to make fun of Jenn's character, pick up the katana from the grassy area, and then toss it onto concrete. I didn't get to do that so what you see is the implication the katana fell on grass, and then mysteriously teleported to concrete.

Seishiro's character also has powers identical to those of Akusesu. This is intentional. Seishiro's character was the "final boss" to Jenn's character. The "final boss" in a video game typically has more powerful versions of techniques used by boss characters of earlier stages. I planned having other "boss" characters, and Seishiro uses their abilities as well. Unfortunately, I either never filmed those "other characters" or something happened to cause one of the planned scenes to remain in a permanently incomplete state. I'll eventually edit together and upload the incomplete fight scene so there will be *some* basis of comparison between something Seishiro does and one other character.

Another useless fact is, I made the mistake of shooting the early parts of this fight scene in 4:3 aspect ratio. I didn't want to start over due to the amount of time we already spent filming by the time I realized this, so I switched over to 16:9 immediately after my realization and decided I'll worry about the incorrect aspect ratio later. The first 58 seconds were shot in 4:3, and I did some editing to make the footage 16:9.

No comments:

Post a Comment